No, that's not a typo. Damon Wayans, the comedian, has written a book about a sixty-plus year old woman. Let that marinate for a minute, I'll wait... You done? Okay. There are a lot of people online that loved this book, I'm not one of them.
In all of the years that she's lived in the neighborhood with her husband, she has managed to alienate just about everyone. Couped up in her apartment, she watches the world go by without her, until the day that the ladies of the Red Hat Society come to her rescue. Alma has never depended on anyone before and it will take a leap of faith for her to let this lively group of women into her life.
What did you like about this book?
The front and back covers have the most gorgeous red hats on them. At just 211 pages, this was a very quick read.
What did you dislike about this book?
There were so many opportunities for the author to go more in depth about the reasons why Alma acted the way she did. Instead, he decided that a paragraph would suffice. There was also an opportunity to develop the character of Harold more, perhaps to give insight as to why he would stay with a woman so mean that she wouldn't pee on him if he were on fire. Once again, it was a missed opportunity.
What could the author do to improve this book?
While I understand that this book was done as some sort of tribute to his mother, he may want to try his hand at writing from the male point of view going forth. He has yet to find the voice of women.
Published May 2010
Theme: Meanest Woman by Deborah Coleman & Joe Willie (I was looking for the Muddy Waters' version, but couldn't find it).
- ► 2014 (72)
- ► 2013 (98)
- ► 2012 (149)
- ► 2011 (147)
- Free For All Friday, July 30
- Summer Reading List Update for July
- #BookReview: Platinum - Aliya S. King
- Free For All Friday, July 23
- #BookReview: The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives...
- Throwback Thursday: Miss Nelson Is Missing! by Har...
- #BookReview: Searching for Tina Turner - Jacquelin...
- Teaser Tuesday, July 20 - The Secret Lives of Baba...
- #BookReview: The Sacred Place - Daniel Black
- Free For All Friday
- Throwback Thursday: Giveadamn Brown by Robert Dean...
- #BookReview: Red Hats - Damon Wayans
- Teaser Tuesday, July 13 - I Am Not Sidney Poitier
- Book Blog Tour & Giveaway: Color Blind - Precious ...
- #BookReview: 32 Candles - Ernessa T. Carter
- 32 Candles Reading & Signing with Ernessa T. Carte...
- #BookReview: A Taste of Honey: Stories - Jabari As...
- Throwback Thursday: What Looks Like Crazy On An Or...
- #BookReview: Address: House of Corrections - Monic...
- Teaser Tuesday, July 6 - Eddie Signwriter
- Books & Barbeque
- Throwback Thursday: Sassafrass, Cypress and Indigo...
- ▼ July (22)