World Book Night isn't until April 2013, but they're accepting sign ups now. If you've never heard of it, you're not alone. It gets a lot of publicity in the book community, but not so much outside of that. Each year, book givers sign up to receive a copy of 20 books that they hand out to light or non-readers. It's completely up to the giver where they distribute them. It can be anywhere from a subway station, a school parking lot to the grocery store.
2013 books include Sandra Cisneros The House on Mango Street, Paulo Coehlo's The Alchemist, John Grisham's Playing for Pizza, Walter Mosley's Devil in a Blue Dress, Alexander McCall Smith's The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, Hillary Jordan's Mudbound and Jesmyn Ward's Salvage the Bones, among others. I didn't get to participate this year, but I'm definitely signing up for next year.
Care to join me? Sign ups are here. You'll be asked to choose three books, why you're interested in giving them away and where you plan to do it.
If you could give away any book, not just the ones on the list, what would it be, who would you give it to and why?
- ► 2014 (72)
- ► 2013 (98)
- #BookReview: Miss Julia to the Rescue - Ann B. Ros...
- #BookReview: Georgia Bottoms - Mark Childress
- #BookReview: Shopping with the Enemy - Carmen Reid...
- #BookReview: Please Look After Mom - Kyung-Sook Sh...
- #BookReview: Where Did We Go Wrong? - Monica Mathi...
- #BookReview: The Bridegroom - Ha Jin
- World Book Night 2013
- #BookReview: 40 Love - Madeleine Wickham
- I Didn't Get My Groove Back, But...
- 2013 Books: Passports to the World Challenge Updat...
- ▼ November (11)
- ► 2011 (147)
- ► 2010 (199)